Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My Knitting Story

My knitting story begins much like other knitting stories, my grandmother taught me when I was 7. I’m not sure what the significiance is about the age 7, but I’m sure it has something to do with the developemental stage when you have some ability to sit still and your hands are big enough to hold the needles and you will do anything to play with whoever is around.

My grandmother was a great knitter. She use to knit hats and scarfs for the men at sea. She was patient, kind and stern. She watched every stitch I made. If it wasn’t right, she made me rip my stitches out and start again. Her favorite saying, “ a job worth doing, is worth doing right”. I don’t know about you, but I have riped hundreds of rows out, unraveled full sweaters, taken 2 years to finish a project and started a thing or two over and over again, to get it right!

There was something back then about knittingI loved. I’m sure I didn’t know then but I certainly know now, why I knit. I know there are an infinite number of reasons why and the reasons are different everyday , but the one thing I know for sure is that I love to knit!

No comments: